For more information about our recent media and press releases, please contact:
A selection of local and national media coverage of the "I Have A Dream" Foundation.
- The First Lady Gives NYC Seniors a Dreamy College Sendoff, Metro, April 29, 2016
NYC Dreamers were able to attend College Signing Day, an event that was part of Obama's Reach Higher Initiative, which encourages first generation and low-income students to pursue higher education. Ravenswood II Dreamer, Deja Daniels, is featured sharing her thoughts on being a Dreamer.
- "It Alleviates Some of the Stress and Concerns I Have about Starting College", April 6, 2016, See also article published on Corporation for Enterprise Development's website
April is National Financial Capability Month, and the “I Have A Dream” Foundation (IHDF) is teaming up with the 1:1 Fund to profile three of IHDF’s Children’s Savings Account (CSA) programs. You'll read how each of these programs uses the college savings account program to support their student’s college goals.
- Putting the Dream of Higher Education within Reach, The Hill, December 11, 2015
Original Dreamer, Juan D. Martinez, shares his experience of being a Dreamer and how important it is to invest in young people's education.
- "I Have A Dream" - NY: Making College a Reality, NYCHA Journal, November 2015
Dreamers from DeHostos-Wise and Ravenswood II programs share what the best part of being a Dreamer is and what they've learned from being a part of "I Have A Dream"-NY.
- Low-key funder's big boro boost, CRANE, September 2015
The history of the Elmezzi Foundation and how it's supporting the "I Have A Dream"-NY Ravenswood II program.
- At Risk LIC, Astoria Teens Beat the Odds with Community Help, NY1 News, June 9, 2015, See also article published in Queens Times
"I Have A Dream" - Ravenswood II Dreamers graduate!
- "I Have A Dream": Arts and Cultural Expression as a Tool for Promoting Equality, Equity for Children, September 11, 2014
Nicole Guerra highlights how "I Have A Dream" utilizes music and art in all its forms to stimulate Dreamer's creativity, partnering up with organizations such as Free Arts NYC and Music IMPROV.
- Second Acts for Seniors, New York Daily News, August 20, 2014
RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) and "I Have A Dream" - East Harlem partnered up to help provide retired folks with volunteer opportunities.
- "I Have A Dream" Spirit of the Dream Spring Gala, June 11, 2013
More than 400 attendees celebrated the "I Have A Dream" Foundation's "Spirit of the Dream" Spring Gala this June in New York City, honoring New York State Education Commissioner Dr. John King, Jr. The event brought together hundreds of national educators, business leaders, champions, and "I Have A Dream" students and alumni to raise funds for the organization and engage new champions.
The New York Times (17 & 18) >>
New York Social Diary >>
- Lang Civic Engagement & Social Justice, Community Partner Reflection: "I Have A Dream" Foundation - NY: East Harlem Program, March 4, 2013
- His 'Dream' Job, New York Post, September 17, 2011
"I Have A Dream" and its founder Eugene M. Lang are profiled. June 14, 2011
- The "I Have A Dream" Foundation celebrated its 30th Anniversary on June 14th at 583 Park Avenue. We were thrilled to honor three education pioneers - The Honorable Thomas H. Kean, Shmuel Meitar, and Stuart Udell - for their enduring commitment to improving educational opportunities for all students. We were also delighted to recognize Founder Eugene M. Lang, for lifting the expectations of all our nation's students with the promise of college he made 30 years ago to the sixth graders of P.S. 121, and Rafael Rodriguez, an extraordinary alumnus and entrepreneur who was one of Mr. Lang's original Dreamers.
The New York Times >>
New York Social Diary >>
- Making Education Count, The Wall Street Journal, March 7, 2011
Sponsor Jeffrey Gural's ongoing support of students through "I Have A Dream" is highlighted.
- BOOK EVENT: Kids First: Five Big Ideas for Transforming Children's Lives and America's Future, Amazon.com, Published March 1, 2011
On April 12, 2011, the "I Have A Dream" Foundation hosted An Evening of Cocktails & Conversation at Robert at the Museum of Arts & Design, where UC-Berkeley Professor of Public Policy David L. Kirp discussed his newest book, which highlights "I Have A Dream" as an organization that is already aligned with his "kids-first" public policy agenda. Click here to view photos of the event.
- College Access and Success, Root Cause - Social Impact Research, January 21, 2011
Root Cause selects "I Have A Dream" New York and Chicago as "high impact college access organizations".
- Innovative Strategies Help Students Achieve College Goals, Summit 54 Press Release, November 18, 2010
"I Have A Dream" participates in summit highlighting effective college-access solutions.
- Mets, Councilman Recognize Local Group That Helps Fulfill College Dreams, NY1, July 28, 2010
Queens Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer and the New York Mets teamed up to recognize "I Have A Dream" in Long Island City. Dreamers from the program played baseball with Mr. Met and the Council member and talked about the importance of "I Have A Dream" in their lives.
- Gala Bolsters College Dreams, Wall Street Journal, June 7, 2010
"I Have A Dream" supporters came together on June 3 to honor Cesar Conde of Univision Networks, and highlight the work being done to increase college access.
- 'Dream' program puts kids on path to success, New Jersey Jewish News, March 10, 2010
"I Have A Dream" - Plainfield celebrates its tenth year of guiding students along the pathway to college.
- Jennifer Garner Glows for Charity, OK! Magazine, February 22, 2010
Actress Jennifer Garner, a long-time supporter of "I Have A Dream", attends our Los Angeles affiliate's 12th Annual Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues.
- Connecting Anxious Parents and Educators, at $450 an Hour, New York Times, August 17, 2009
The New York Times reports on the "I Have A Dream" Foundation's partnership with Aristotle Circle, a network of admissions, academic, and child development experts with knowledge to optimize and demystify the New York schools admissions process.
- Lighting Up Lives, New York Social Diary, June 17, 2009
Among the guests at the "I Have A Dream" Foundation's June 11 Gala were keynote speaker United States Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan; Chancellor of New York City Schools, Joel Klein; Rosie O'Donnell, who was honored with the Visionary Award; Dany Garcia, recipient of the Eugene M. Lang Achievement Award, presented by Dwayne Johnson; country music star Lee Ann Womack; and Carlos Watson, MSNBC Anchor and the evening's emcee.
- Sunday Style: Evening Hours, New York Times, June 12, 2009
Carlos Watson, Dany Garcia, Simone Johnson, and Dwayne Johnson are pictured at the "I Have A Dream" Foundation's June 11 Gala.
- JCC, Plainfield teens join forces for day of service, New Jersey Jewish News, April 30, 2009
Plainfield Dreamers team up with teens from the JCC of Central New Jersey to lead a day of community service in their local neighborhoods. In total, they recruited 72 more volunteers to help them put in a total of 180 service hours.
- Living the Dream, Albany Times Union, February 8, 2009
Three Dreamer alumni from Albany, now adults with children of their own, are profiled 21 years after becoming a part of the "I Have A Dream" movement.
- Duncan Wins Praise at Confirmation Hearing, Diverse Issues in Higher Education, January 14, 2009
Arne Duncan describes his experience and successes with "I Have A Dream", at his Senate confirmation hearing to be the nation's Secretary of Education. View the excerpted transcript.
- Schools Chief From Chicago Is Cabinet Pick, The New York Times, December 15, 2008
President-elect Barack Obama names Chicago schools superintendent Arne Duncan as his choice for U.S. Secretary of Education. Duncan is a former Executive Director for Chicago's "I Have A Dream" Ariel program.
- Pathways to Student Success: A Guide to Translating Good Intentions into Meaningful Impact, The Center for High Impact Philanthropy at the University of Pennsylvania, December 2008
In its first philanthropic investment guide, the Center for High Impact Philanthropy lists "I Have A Dream" as an "exemplar agent" among organizations making a difference in the lives of disadvantaged students. Visit CHIP's web site to request a free copy of the full report.
- Children Who Live in Public Housing Suffer in School, Study Says, The New York Times, November 23, 2008
The New York Times describes a recent study by New York University's Furman Center for Real Estate & Urban Policy which documented the lower academic performance of students living in New York City public housing, even when adjusting for income. Download the full report to see the recommendation that policymakers learn from and coordinate with programs like "I Have A Dream", that provide "critical support for disadvantaged youth in public schools" (Page 7).
- Philanthropist Eugene M. Lang Named "Citizen of the Year" by National Conference on Citizenship, National Conference on Citizenship Press Release, August 26, 2008
Eugene Lang is recognized for his lifelong commitment to civic participation at the NCoC's annual conference on September 22, 2008 at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
- VIDEO: Michelle, Malia, and Sasha Obama Land in Denver, BarackObama.com, August 24, 2008
Executive Director of the Colorado "I Have A Dream" Foundation, Mary Hanewall, is one of a handful of service organization representatives to welcome the Obamas to Denver for the Democratic National Convention. View photos
- "100 Most Beautiful": More Than Skin Deep - Jennifer Garner, People Magazine, May 12, 2008
Jennifer Garner names the "I Have A Dream" Foundation as the cause that she supports. Garner shares, "You can't meet these kids and hear their stories and how comprehensively 'I Have A Dream' has changed their lives without wanting to be a part of that process."
- Giving Wisely (cover story), Barron's, November 26, 2007
Barron's philanthropy issue lists "I Have A Dream" founder Eugene M. Lang as one of the nation's top 10 philanthropists based on overall impact.
- Thirty More Dreamers at DeHostos-Wise Kickoff, New York City Housing Authority Journal, March, 2006
NYCHA reports on the kickoff of the DeHostos-Wise "I Have A Dream" program.
- It's a Dream Come True: Ravenswood Teens Succeed with Program's Help, The Daily News, June 27, 2004
The Daily News highlights the graduation of the first Ravenswood "I Have A Dream" program.
The following articles have marked significant milestones in the history of the "I Have A Dream" Foundation.
- I Have A Dream: College Tuition, CBS 60 Minutes, May 23, 2004
60 Minutes followed-up on the "I Have A Dream" Foundation from the time it first broke the story nationally in 1986.
- One Man's Gift: College for 52 in Harlem, The New York Times, October 15, 1985
This is the first story published about founder Eugene M. Lang's promise to the graduating class of sixth graders at P.S. Harlem in 1981.